Frequently Asked Questions
How do I purchase Atomic Learning
Atomic Learning offers a variety of training and support packages to best meet the unique needs of your institution. Each package is designed to provide a comprehensive framework to simplify campus technology training, integration and support.
What do I get with an Atomic Learning subscription?
With a subscription to any of Atomic Learning's online solutions you receive one-year unlimited access to learning resources in your chosen training package.
Learn more about what features and functionality are included in each solution.
Does Atomic Learning have a mobile app?
A: Yes, there is a free Atomic Learning app available in the App Store on your iPad®. You can access the same training available through your web-based Atomic Learning subscription through the app using the same login credentials.
What if I have more questions about the iPad App?
If you have other questions regarding the iPad app, please visit the Atomic Learning App FAQ page.
What are the requirements for using Atomic Learning?
A: To utilize Atomic Learning resources, you will need a Web browser with 3rd Party Cookies enabled, and either the Flash or QuickTime plugin.
- Operating System: Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
- Browser: Internet Explorer 8 or higher, Firefox 3.6 or higher, or Google Chrome 12 or higher; 3rd Party Cookies must be accepted
- Player: QuickTime Player 6.5.2 or higher (see note about recent versions and closed captioning), or Flash Player 9.1 or higher
- Bandwidth: Minimum 128 kb/s; Recommended 512 kb/s
- Adobe Reader 6.0 or higher
- Java 1.5 or higher
- Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4.11 or higher
- Browser: Safari 3 or higher, Firefox 3.6 or higher, or Google Chrome 12 or higher; 3rd Party Cookies must be accepted
- Player: QuickTime Player 7 or higher, or Flash Player 9.1 or higher
- Bandwidth: Minimum 128 kb/s; Recommended 512 kb/s
- Adobe Reader 9 or higher
- Java 1.4 or higher
Atomic Learning, Inc. recommends that the customer has internet bandwidth speeds of 512 kilobits per second or greater. Atomic Learning Inc’s website performance may vary for the customer if the customer has any additional internet bandwidth consumption taking place.
You will need to install Flash 9.1 or higher on each individual computer that an assessment will be taken on. iPad devices currently do not support Flash; therefore, iPads cannot be used to take an assessment.
Note: QuickTime versions 7.6.6 - 7.6.9 for Windows may exhibit poor sound quality when closed captioning is enabled. Atomic Learning recommends using QuickTime version 7.6.0 until this issue is rectified by Apple in a future release.
Is Atomic Learning Accessible?
Atomic Learning’s website developers and quality assurance department use the WAVE tool from Web Aim in conjunction with the screen readers Jaws and VoiceOver to test the Atomic Learning website for accessibility and ensure all users are able to successfully use the site. Atomic Learning also consults users with physical and sensory disabilities to ensure their experience using the Atomic Learning resources is satisfactory. For technical specifications on how Atomic Learning meets section 508 of the rehabilitation act requirements, see our VPAT.
Jaws and VoiceOver Settings Used During Testing
During the testing process the following Navigation settings are used in VoiceOver with Safari 5.1.1 on Operating system X 10.6.8
- Initial position of VoiceOver Cursor: Keyboard focused item
- Select keyboard focus follows VoiceOver cursor
- Select VoiceOver cursor follows insertion point
- Select Insertion point follows VoiceOver cursor
- Mouse Cursor: Ignores VoiceOver cursor
- Select Automatically interact when using tab key
During Testing the following Web settings are used in VoiceOver with Safari
- Navigate webpages by: DOM order
- When loading a new webpage: Move the VoiceOver cursor to it, automatically speak the webpage
- When navigating tables: Speak column and row numbers
- Navigate Images: Always
- Web Item Rotor includes: all menu options
During the accessibility testing process, Atomic Learning uses the default settings in Jaws 12 on Internet Explorer 8 in Windows 7
Recommended Browser Settings
If you are using Safari to access Atomic Learning it is recommended that you check the “Press Tab to highlight each item on a webpage” option in Preferences> Advanced tab to ensure keyboard navigation works smoothly.
Site Layout and Navigation
The Atomic Learning website has a very consistent layout with the same main navigation bar on every page of the site. While this offers convenience in terms of navigation, it can give you the impression that you are always on the same page. However, headings and links will change from page to page, use this or the url as the indicator that you have navigated to a new page with additional information. You may also use the Skip to Content link to avoid the main navigation bar.
There is a link to Atomic Learning’s site map located in the footer of each page to give you a better sense of the site layout.
Accessibility of Downloadable Resources
Atomic Learning has ensured the following in all its PDF and Word documents available for download. If, for some reason, a document does not meet the standards listed below, contact customer service at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Atomic Learning Word and PDF documents…
- Use standard ISO fonts
- Have headings
- Contain contextual links
- Have properly formatted tables and lists
- Have tags
- Have English as its assigned language
- Are read in a logical order
- Contain images and links that have alt text
- Contain tables that have headers
Atomic Learning tests documents using Acrobat Pro 8.
I have forgotten my password. How do I log into Atomic Learning?
Try to log into Atomic Learning. If you use the wrong information you will be directed to the log-in error page. Enter the e-mail address for your account in the space provided and instructions for recovering your password will be sent to you.
How can I find the answer to my question or a specific tutorial?
Use the Find an Answer to a Tech Question module:
- Login to Atomic Learning.
- On the home page, click the plus [+] button to expand the module if it isn’t already.
- Enter keywords or a simple question to search for relevant tutorials.
- Use the filters below if desired. Click the Search button to see your results.
- If too many results are returned, you may modify your query terms or filter further with the dropdown menus in the left-hand column.
I'm having a problem with QuickTime. What should I do?
Q: I'm using the latest version of QuickTime on a PC and my movies aren't playing well or I'm experiencing sound quality issues. What should I do?
A: You can choose to view the movies in Flash, disable closed captioning, or uninstall QuickTime and install version 7.6.0.
Q: I have an older version of QuickTime on my Mac and my movies aren’t playing in either QuickTime or Flash. What should I do?
A: On some Intel-based Macs, QuickTime version 7.2 affects the computer’s ability to play web-based videos. Unfortunately, this version can also impact other applications.
Please try another browser, such as Firefox, to see if the issue still exists. If needed, install the newest version of QuickTime.
How can I change my personal preferences?
With the player window closed, click My Profile & Settings at the top right of the page. Change the desired preferences and click the Save button. Close the preferences window.
I'm unable to view videos in the custom series created by my organization. What can I do?
When uploaded to Atomic Learning, all video files are converted to .flv (Flash) movie format that cannot be viewed via QuickTime. To view these videos, change your player preference to Flash:
Login to Atomic Learning
On the home page, click 'My Profile & Settings' in the upper right corner of the page.
In the window that appears, select 'Flash' in the 'Preferred Movie Format' dropdown menu.
If you do not have an individual login, you may not be able to change your own preferences and should contact your Atomic Learning administrator.